Blog Posts

Thursday, March 19, 2020

TAKE #10 THE HISTORY OF SILENT FILM CINEMATOGRAPHY

Silent Film Cinematography

Because we (Christian Filmmakers, Movie Makers and Christian Movie lovers) are all currently taking a 'Pause' because of the Coronavirus saga (it's March 2020), and many of us have more time in our hands than ever before :)   I have included here, a short Youtube Documentary Film about The History of Silent Film and It's Cinematography!  (you will find the link below this blog post).  

I really love this documentary and I know you will love it too (specially if you truly have a Passion for Motion Pictures, of course).  If possible, try watching it on a big screen TV through Cable TV (I have Comcast which gives me direct access to youtube, but if you don't have cable, you could connect your Laptop or Computer via HDMI cable (and if your laptop doesn't have HDMI OUT, you may need an adapter/converter to do so) just get it from Best Buy or some other similar Electronic store.   

This is a great time to learn everything there is to learn about FilmMaking and specially The History of Silent Films, because in everything we see, research and watch we always tend to learn something we didn't know before, even if it's just one thing, it will all be worth it!    In fact, this is the process of how we learn and how our mind stores and uses information... so that one day, when we least expect it, perhaps while we are filming our next Christian Movie and we are standing on a movie set, perhaps thinking on how we should light the set or shoot a certain scene...  and at that very moment... this one thing you learned years ago, will come to mind and give you that specific edge you need to make the scene work.    

My greatest film making ideas have come to me while in the middle of filming one of my Christian movies.   In that very moment, when I had no idea what to do or how to do something (sometimes because of the pressure of being live on the set), the... when I least expect it, that one filmmaking trick I learned years ago... pops into my head.    As if somebody was watching me from above (and some is watching over us... of course:)   At that very moment, is as if God knows exactly when to bring that one Idea that we learned years ago... again, at the very moment when we (behaps had totally forgotten about it), but suddenly God brings it to our mind as a simple thought, but it becomes clear as day.   And the thought, usually starts as a barely perceptible thought that if we are not paying attention and we are not seeking for it... we may miss it.  This is why Prayer, and seeking God before, during and after each filming is SUPER important.  

For me, being in touch with The Kingdom of God throughout the making of my God Films is the KEY to my success!, and to me, success is NOT making a Million Dollars with a movie, to me success is as simple as Starting and Finishing God's Kingdom Message in a movie format.   A movie that is ready to be shown online or on theaters anywhere and everywhere possible (whether it makes money or not) that's God's domain.   As a Christian Filmmaker my job is to help Plant the Seed in Good Soil, and then Water It, but it's GOD who makes it grow!    In other words, my job as a Christian filmmaker is to make the movie happen with God's help.   And I always make sure that God is with me in every movie I make.  In fact, I have often told God, the following;

 "Lord, if you are NOT with me on this film, I'm out!"  "I rather never make another film... unless, you show me You are ALL IN with me."  "And Lord, if this is NOT the film I should make, please, show me now!"

I don't know about you, but that's how I talk to God, He's my best friend and He knows it :) 

The truth is that I never stop learning, it doesn't matter that I have over 30 years of movie making experience, that means nothing today.  Filmmaking has changed a lot, as you will soon see on the documentary below!  But I love learning and I keep learning everything I can about movie making, cinematography and movie magic all the time, because you just never know when you get to use that one thing (trick) you read about on a film book, you saw in a movie or in a youtube video and then use such new or old technique in one of The Lord's movie.    Also, keep in mind, that what the world calls old or out of style, for God there is no such thing... because for God All Things are New and also everything is Eternal.

Again, the secret of becoming a Top Professional filmmaker is to be alway learning as much as possible about the art, the history; including learning about every new equipment that just came out in the market, just last week or the week before.  Staying on top of the latest Digital video production gear in the industry always keeps us ahead of the curve, and these knowledge will always help us become a better Movie Maker for The Kingdom of God.

I have personally selected this Silent Film Cinematography documentary for you to watch, as a Film Class to help you understand the true power of Motion Picture Film, as well as Today's Digital Cinematography! 

Enjoy the following Documentary film: 

The History of Silent Film Cinematography

We will be showing more Key Educational Documentary Films such as this one for the sake of Learning everything there is to know about Motion Pictures and It's History.